When it comes to options on feeding your new baby, you have the choice between formula or breast milk. But is one really better over the other?
While formula has come a long way over the years, it cannot compare to the benefits and complexity of breast milk. If you are capable of breastfeeding your child, consider choosing it as your baby’s means of nourishment for these reasons:
1. Convenience: There are no bottles, formula, or water to pack into the diaper bag when you are preparing for an outing. The food source travels with you wherever you go.
2. Bonding: Skin-to-skin contact works wonders for both mom and baby, both for their individual emotional health and for the creation of an indescribable bond between them.
3. Nutrition: Your baby receives all her necessary vitamins and minerals from breast milk alone, which is why she has no need for other foods until at least the age of 6 months.
4. Immune System: Babies are born with practically no immune system, but breastfed babies rarely get sick because they receive antibodies through their mother’s milk. And if mom or baby do come down with a cold, the mother’s body will create the antibodies needed to fight the illness so that it can be passed to the baby through the breast milk.
5. Brain Development: Because of the bonding between mother and child, and the vitamins and minerals found in breast milk, many studies have shown that breastfed babies tend to have better brain development and higher IQ’s throughout their lives.
6. Complexity: No matter how far along the recipe for formula comes, it cannot compare to the complexity and adaptability of breast milk. It changes as the baby grows and produces what the baby needs at her current stage in life.